Since moving is quite stressful, there are often times when you might overlook something important or make mistakes that you will regret later. You just might end up missing something important, and if you are on a long distance move, this omission can be more than just a tiny mistake. You certainly would have a list of things to do when you are moving. Why not, then, make a list of things not to do, so that your move will be a success?
Things To Avoid Doing When Moving
- Always make an inventory of the items you are moving and tick them off on your list when they are being loaded into the truck and unloaded. Many people make the mistake of omitting this, only to end up in a great deal of confusion when their goods are delivered.
- Take stock of the belongings that you have to move and make sure that the truck you order is of the right size. Quite a few people misjudge the truck that they need and end up ordering one that is too small or too wide, and are then at a loss as to how to load their goods in it.
- Avoid opting for a moving service merely on hype. Always get references from people you personally know, so that you can be sure that the movers whose services you choose are reliable and trustworthy. Always ask questions so that you can know what you are in for and will not be taken for a ride at a later point of time.
- Avoid rushing and last minute hassles. When it comes to moving, the actual work might be on a single day, but your preparations begin days or even weeks in advance. Do not keep all the packing to the last minute. Get smaller things seen to so that when the movers arrive, you will not have the confusion of not knowing what to do.
- Time your move right. In some cases, you have absolutely no choice in the matter, especially if your move is because of work or your business. However, if the choice is in your hands, avoid moving during winter or during monsoons. Most people prefer to move during summer, when the climate is more conducive to a smooth and hassle-free move. Apart from this, if you are moving with kids, plan your move so that their school year does not get interrupted and your move does not take a toll on their young lives.